1967.7 (Bell)

1967.7 (Bell) image

Cast iron bell that was part of the original Iowa's Soldiers' Orphans' Homes built in 1869 and served as the first and only building when the Normal School (Now UNI) opened in 1876. At that time, the named was changed to Central Hall. Records indicate that a foundry man from Waterloo named Trapper cast the bell. The belfry had been removed. by the time the building burned down in 1965 but the bell was still located in the attic, where it had been stored for some time. It fell during the fire and sustained the current damage. An article written on Oct. 1, 1982 states that the Old Central Hall bell was stored on the first floor of the Campanile however records state that it was donated to the UNI Museum in 1967.

Found in Collection: